Internship and Externship
An internship is an educational opportunity offered by an employer to students. Interns work either part time or full time at a company for a certain period. The goal of an internship is to gain practical work experience and to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the industry. We in the College of Business and Analytics work closely with our employers and students to coordinate and fill intern vacancies.
Hiring interns also leads to lower recruiting costs if a full-time offer is extended at the conclusion of the internship.
Interns are able to do the more time-consuming necessary tasks which enables experienced staff members to focus on other pressing responsibilities.
CRITERIA FOR AN EXPERIENCE TO BE DEFINED AS AN INTERNSHIP
To ensure that an experience—whether it is a traditional internship or one conducted remotely or virtually—is educational, and thus eligible to be considered a legitimate internship by the College of Business and Analytics definition, all the following criteria must be met:
- The experience must be an extension of the classroom: a learning experience that provides for applying the knowledge gained in the classroom. It must not be simply to advance the operations of the employer or be the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills or knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience has a defined beginning and end, and a job description with desired qualifications.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to the professional goals of the student’s academic coursework.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback by the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
To participate in the College of Business and Analytics internship program, please complete the Employer Internship Form and return it to us at email@example.com.
The College of Business and Analytics participates in the SIU Alumni Association’s award-winning externship program. During the week of spring break, students are paired with a sponsor from a company that compliments that particular student's professional goals.
The program offers employers a low-risk way to evaluate potential candidates and their fit within the organization.
For more information, visit the SIU's Career Development.
Please contact the Business Placement Center if you have any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-453-2603