An internship is an educational opportunity offered by an employer to students. Interns work either part time or full time at a company for a certain period. The goal of an internship is to gain practical work experience and to apply what they are learning in the classroom to the industry.
During an internship, students have the opportunity to enhance their resume. Students have the option of enrolling in the 3-credit Internship course. During the internship, experience students should look to expand their knowledge about an industry, refine career aspirations, and expand their professional network. Students become more independent and self-confident while learning the ins and outs of their chosen career.
Interested in receiving class credit for your internship?
In order to successfully complete the internship course with the College of Business and Analytics a student must:
- Find/secure an internship that's related to their major. (I.E. Marketing majors may perform duties related to marketing, advertising, social media content, etc.)
- Must complete 180 working hours to fulfill 3-credit hours
- Must register for the corresponding course during the semester they wish to intern (i.e., Spring 2022 interns must register for Spring 2022 Internship course)
- CoBA does not support students completing the course retroactively
- Must be compensated (bi-weekly payroll, stipend, scholarship, etc.) if your internship is at a for-profit entity
- Non-profit entities are not required to pay
- Must be approved by the Business Placement Center, School Director, and their Academic Advisor.
- Must have a 2.5/4.0 GPA
- Must be a junior or beyond to receive (ACCT, BUS, FIN, MRKT, or MGMT 495 credit)
- Students who are not a junior or beyond can receive BUS 259 credit.
If your Internship meet the requirements above, you can move on to the steps below to seek approval for class credit.
Part one is to submit your "Student Internship Application". Part one allow us to vet and verify all information related to the student This step is essential to approve the student for the internship program with the College of Business and Analytics.
Part two of the application, is completed by the internship host and forwarded back to Jrobinson@business.siu.edu. Part two allow us to vet and verify all information related to the internship host. This step is essential to approve the internship host for the internship program with the College of Business and Analytics.
If you are interested in learning more, please see our brochure and complete the application listed below.
Please contact the Business Placement Center if you have any questions at email@example.com or 618-453-2603